VeganMoFo

Wednesday 10 September 2014

Glamorgan snossages

Yay, snossages! I love a bit of sausage. I have an addiction to Linda Mac sausages but we won't go there. Today is all about veganising Glamorgan sausages!

These Welsh beauties are vegetarian to begin with but I've made them totally cruelty-free and totally yummy. I've also snuck some potato into my recipe, because potatoes, even though they aren't traditionally made with this. You will need some kind of blender for this recipe, but nothing fancy. I used a Kenwood mini-chopper. It's surprisingly powerful (I use it for making pesto with all the time, it goes through nuts like butter). You could probably make it by finely chopping things but in the words of Sweet Brown, ain't nobody got time for that.

Ingredients (makes about 6 sausages)
1 leek, white bit only, finely chopped
1 tbsp margarine plus extra for frying
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
150g vegan melt-able cheese (I used cheezly mozzarella style)
100g fresh breadcrumbs (I used the end of a french baguette. Try to use dry/stale bread)
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
Egg replacer to make up one 'egg'
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
Begin by boiling the peeled and chopped potato until it's ready to mash. Once it's ready, drain and transfer to your bowl but in the meantime...
Blitz your bread in a blender of some description until they resemble breadcrumbs. The finer the better. 
Sweat the leeks and garlic in some marge with a little salt.
Once the leeks are done add to the potato and mash well. Add the margarine, grated cheezly, the egg replacer, 25g of the breadcrumbs (the rest are for coating), the herbs, mustard and nutritional yeast and stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed and there are no mash lumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste then leave to cool.
Once cool, place the remaining breadcrumbs on a plate ready for rolling. Form your mixture into balls or sausage shapes (I found shorter sausages stuck together fine) and roll over the breadcrumbs until covered.
Cook your sausages in a well oiled frying pan for a few minutes each side on a medium-high heat.
Enjoy whilst they're still warm and oozing cruelty-free cheese!
I served mine with a pepper-cress salad and spicy tomato chutney. Hom nom nom.




6 comments:

  1. I used to make these all the time as a kid! We used to call them "cheesy leek sausages" because I think Glamorgan was a bit of a mouthful! I totally have to make your vegan version :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe I always call them snausages too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I'm going to make your Glamorgan sausages for dinner tomorrow. Thanks for posting this recipe.

    ReplyDelete